11.02.2005

The 500's


My barrio here in Nagua is called The 500's. It is one of a kind and deservidly should be refered to by a number. I had a moment a few days ago. It was one of those moments when I was walking back through the 500's from class and I realized where I was. So I got back home and sat out on the pourch to write everything I was hearing, seeing, and feeling. This is a little of what I got.
Bachata and Merengue music comming from all around me.
The sound of Dominos smacking and being shuffled on the board.
Kids riding bikes back and forth on the sidewalk and in the street.
A Grandma carrying 2 two gallon buckets to fill for water.
A moto with a boombox blarring Reggeton and the driver carring bags of bread around his neck and shoulders.
Mystery water splattering across the street, comming from the pvc pipe that over hangs the sidewalk.
Above me, a birds nest of bootlegged wire up the electric pole.
An old man walking slowly up the sidewalk.
A section of the houses accross the street being painted a new shade of bright (yellow, green, pink, teal, red, and white)
A warm humid breeze blowing softly through the various tropical tress across the street.
Political fliers blowing gently in the breeze hanging off the the electric pole.
A young girl yelling "Mateo" at me while I sit here observing.
A young guys who passes on the street and greets me with an accented "how are you?"
An incredible sunset that lights up the sky different shades of hot carribean red and oranges accented by purple coulds...giving way to darker blues and greys as I sit and write.
Kids playing and yelling excidly in the street, most of the time unintelligable to me.
4 people deep passing by on a moto.
The gazeebo made of all different types of metal, wood, car parts and appliances under which dominos are being played.
Heat lighting flashing softly over the 500s.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous...

Just amazing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your at peace with yourself and enjoying your situation. Beautiful imageryfrom a perceptive, loving person.
Dad