7.03.2006

This is exciting. The internet has arrived to Pedro Sánchez. I can walk down the street and jump online. I never really thought that this would be an option in the Peace Corps. As I sit here using this slick new keyboard watching cows graze out the window I think about the old Gateway commericials with all the cows and computers. This new center has it all. computers, wireless internet, Pedro Sánchez´s own radio station, copy and fax machines, projectors, digital and video cameras, a special kids room with a library, an adult library, a virtual library connected to the University of Santo Domingo´s library, and ¡bathrooms! that flush. I´m so excited about this part and I think it will change my whole morning rutine around.

It´s really incredible that a little community like mine which is poor, rural, and doesn´t even have phone lines has this new center. But these are just the communities the First Ladies office is targeting for these centers. It´s been interesting so far seeing people who never thought of computers before learning to use them. And this center has kind of added a different twist to my roll here in the community. Although I am not a computer expert in the likes of Diogo (sorry man, Frace and Zidane got your guys´ number) or my old roommate Jon Lentz (¡Lentzy!) it´s safe to say I have the most experience in town. I won´t necessarily be teaching computer classes now, 3 people were hired and trained to do that, I will try to adapt my english class to the new technology and maybe throw in a computer class for a group of teachers at the school. Also this gives me more oppurtunites for activities. I´ve always thought a literacy group was a great idea and a huge need and now we have the resources to do it. Just reading to a group of kids will be great! I´m pretty certian most of them have never been read to before.

So that´s that for now. Otherwise things are going well for the most part. We´ll talk more.

Happy 4th

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, How are you doing over there?
I am not using internet all the time like I use to. I have to work :(
Mr. Zidane could retire last year, but no that bald guy wanted to play another world cup. I feel terrible, but I have to admit he is good. Top 10 or 5 player of all the times. I would say 3rd after pele and maradona. Good luck over there man. I hope to talk to you soon