9.19.2006

Judí

I´m beat. And Judí is sleeping over. Or rather he is sleeping over inside my house.

As I go to unlock my door I look and see Judí lying there. I´m kind of glad he was there and it happened like this. He forced me to do something and I really only had one choice. Maybe he knew that. And maybe I don´t blame him. My front poarch is hard and cold. Although he did fit himself in there just perfectly. Good thing he´s small for a 14 year old. If he really is 14.

I remember saying to myself when I saw the dirty canvas and sack lying there empty and indented the other morning that it had to be a muchacho. Great I thought. So much easier for my conscious huh? I was half way hoping it would be a drunk old man. Then I could shoo him off... at least I think I could.

So I went to investigating, which consisted of sneaking a peak through the downward folded shutters to the opposite end of the poarch. It was 5:30 am and I was hiding. Hiding him from myself. Right? He knew I lived here. He obviously didn´t have any shame in sleeping on someone elses poarch, right? He wasn´t hiding from me.

He finally turned. And I see who it is. It´s Judí. Covered in that dirty canvas I´ve never moved from my poarch since I got there. His face sticking out just enough to tell me it´s him. His face and frame sleeping just like it should. He was dreaming. And I could hear him snoring. Like a kid should. A muchacho. A niño. But then it was so horribly twisted. And feo. And I wanted to cry. And hug him. But I was still hiding.

Now Judí sleeps. On the air matress next to my bed. And he snores litghtly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man. I hope you are ok.
I think a lot about you and I want you to know that I miss you.
I am still with buying and selling cars, I think I am doing ok.
Take care

Diogo

Anonymous said...

Matt...I just found your blog through facebook. It's good to read your stuff. I'm back in the states as of late August and living in Chicago. I swear 1/2 our high school is here. I actually ran into Ryan Tobias getting off the train today. Kelly Broekema and I played Yahtzee last night with a work colleague of mine. Life comes full circle. I miss you buddy. If you ever get a chance send me an email and let me know how you are (Lpool17@hotmail.com). Take care, Betsy