5.01.2007

An up to the date

4/24

I look down to check the little numbers in my lower right hand clock which read 9:51 PM. I hear water splattering the ground in cup fulls next door. Carlos must be bathing. My mosquito net is illuminated to my right by the incredibly bright whiteness of this word document, as small bothersome insects fly about the screen of my laptop. I am careful not to hold it too close to my face or my nose will soon be full of them. Hizo frio esta noche. Un chin. I decided against the bucket bath tonight since I didn’t sweat like usual, as it was unusually overcast and cool all day, allowing my skin a break from its constant moisture. I woke up this morning in one of those cloudy head fogs that didn’t really clear up as the day progressed but I guess I cut through it to get a few things done at least.

It started about 7:30 as I crawled out of my mosquitero and took care of first things first. Then deciding to head down to the colmado in search of something cold on my throat I grabbed a few pesos sitting on the candle waxed pocked half wall dividing my kitchen and living space and closed the small pad lock on my front door behind me. They didn’t have of the jugos bon that are worth their full five peso price, Bonni said they should be getting more today or tomorrow, so I settled for a mabi and four pieces of bread and headed home. How awesome cereal and cold milk would have been I’m thinking now, and even for tomorrow morning...but let’s just not think too much more about that.

The days game plan began to take shape. I knew I had English at 2 and Escojo at 5 and I could probably get a filter installed this morning, even more then one if I had the keys to the empty discoteca where they are being stored. Last night I must not have been on the ball to think of that one ahead of time. But its not suprising. It seems days here are filled with enough stimulation that I can usually last until 7 or 8pm before I begin to hit a wall, the front door closes, and that’s a wrap for Mateo. Maybe my body is more connected to the natural cycle of things here. I mean I get up when the sun rises and turn in when it heads down. I eat what is only in season. It’s all that is really offered; the produce coming straight from the ground around Pedro Sanchez. The chicken that I eat a few times a week is alive doing its chicken thing just the morning before it is killed, plucked, and seasoned. It somehow still finds its way into my plastic green cantina by lunch. I sweat when I should. All day really, while the sun is hot, having no controlled air environment to escape to. It’s the ultimate fresh air experience. I even feel the strong night breezes pass through the house as I write this. When it rains I hear it on the tin, very commanding and demanding of my attention; a good aguacero will cover up any other noises with the pounding and subsiding roar of its passing tropical bands. I can’t hide behind insulated ceilings and weather proofed windows.

And I’ve grown to enjoy this. To feel a part of the day’s cycle. Rolling with it as it circles around this specific place of the globe I find myself in.

Well it looks like I didn’t get passed breakfast news with this update but that’s fine for now. Things always don’t turn out like I may have planned for here. I know you’ll understand. Well, maybe. Try to believe me. It’s a stretch from life in the states. Way more then the 2 hour plane ride it takes to get here.

4/26

The rain is tailing off now although the trees are still dripping. The clock says it’s five. I seem to agree with it. Although it’s a cool, dimmed down, and quiet five in the afternoon. The electricity is here, somewhat early, but I think the rain shower kept people away, wherever they were. The tranquility is somewhat startling, given the late afternoon electrical surprise. Next door, small clapping hands replace the familiar and steady pounding merengue and reggeaton beats. Seems to be a birthday or some other kid celebration. The hum of my fan, keeping the mosquitoes off of my sandaled feet, and some new (thanks scott and heidi) grooving sounds coming from my speakers, keep me from knowing exactly what it is that’s happening next door. I usually stay fairly up to beat on my neighbors goings on, and them on mine for that matter. Although some of what they hear coming from my house is like what I imagine my mom hearing when she watches the Spanish channel. When I feel really ambitious with the cultural exchange aspect of things, and I know they’re listening, I’ll turn my music way up (which is still pretty quiet for around here) and maybe even throw on some Chili Peppers or Zeppelin for that added rock music punch.

4/30

These were two things I started and didn’t finish for whatever reason. I’ve been meaning to do a little up to the date for this here thing. Both Mom and Dad have been reminding me of it for some time now. I guess it says it’s been since February or March since the last one. Time’s been flying. The thought has passed through my mind a few times lately about what it is going to feel like to have this all as just a memory. Or to tell people I lived in the DR for the past two years. Not actually live here anymore. I won’t be in the middle of all of this, and that’s strange to think about. I go about the day to day in relationships with friends and neighbors, while also immersing myself with thoughts, and trying to translate them to actions, so that I can somehow be a source of positive change here. (I am not saving the world by any means! That is a loaded job better left for someone else.) And time just melts away. So anyway what’s been going on really?

Water filters are being installed. A very tangible and rewarding project. Seeing people drinking free and clean water for the first time in their life is pretty cool. The smiles I get when I ask them how their filter is working are awesome. I remember thinking to myself how this whole volunteer gig is pretty sweet deal! If I didn’t have to go back to the states and have the whole monetary concerns causing me to get a paying job, amongst other getting actions, this would be something I could do for a while. I don’t mind the lifestyle at all. The simpleness, poverty, etc., I mean. What ever you want to call it. (I am also not saying that I´m poor or even know what it is like to be poor. I don´t and never will know.) And to think of it a little, after having been back in the states, it is really only in the states that I have desires for a lifestyle of more. I think it may be the satisfaction of living in a community or maybe not being bombarded by advertising, now that I think of it. Imagine not seeing an ad all day long. Well, besides the warn out old posters hung in the colmado for beer or different snack products, that are very unimposing. In the states there is no way for that to happen. To not see ads. We don´t even realize we are seeing them. Just another part of the landscape of America. But here I guess marketers realize they have not much of a market to market to, and focus their efforts elsewhere. It kind of alows my mind to take a break from so many me thoughts and think about others for a small fraction of time then usual. I am not saying at all that I have no me thoughts. They for sure are there, maybe just focused different. And I realize the whole Peace Corps organization and safety net protects me and supports me, allowing me to have my needs met. I wouldn’t able to do the whole volunteering thing if I had to pay my own money, look for a doctor when I was sick, or try to make money for other essentials. I don’t know, I guess it’s just a sweet deal and I feel fortunate to be a part of it.


That’s all I got now. Just a bunch of late night rambling and some cutting and pasting of ideas begun. Maybe this will get me back rolling with more substantial news. The soccer balls have been a blessing Uncle Tom. You can’t imagine how many kids are can play soccer now! And how much they are enjoying them! A few of them are even getting their own ball for the first time in their lives.

Ok
Peace Out
Matt

3 comments:

marianne said...

a mi me gusta.

lrs2 said...

Hey Matt-
Thanks for your thoughts.
One quote I like is "There are 2 ways to have enough. One is to accumulate more. The other is to desire less."

God bless!

Anonymous said...

Hello Matthew, I somehow received your video this morning, wonderful! I usually go down to the beach each morning and read while I am reminded of the greatness of the Lord as the sun rises this morning I had the pleasure somehow of reading your blog. It seems that you have discovered the simple contentment that come from within that the apostle Paul wrote about! I am thankful to read about the work you are doing to help the people in your community to have a more joyful life.

It is true that our greatest gift to others is a simple free giving of the heart. Your Spanish is just perfect! May the Lord fill your heart each day with his presence and love. Tn His grace. Tom Chisholm