3.20.2008

Just the other night

Well I guess there is dinner tonight.

After climbing up into the house and not seeing anyone around, I decided to make an early night of it anyway. I swept the floor off, shook out my pad, sheets and pillow, tied up and tucked in my mosquitero, and squeezed in my ear plugs so 5am won’t sound so early tomorrow when everyone leaves for school. But after about 45 minutes of me lying awake wondering if my toes are too exposed to a night ambush by the mosquitoes or even those other 8 legged and far more scary night owls, I not only heard but felt everyone come home. Kind of how I imagine a snake would feel the ground vibrating as I passed near-by. I guess it is the result of the floor being seven feet off the ground and not every board being firmly nailed to the supporting beams underneath. Actually it can feel like a small but constant earthquake in the morning while everyone is busy leaving for school. Add to that, numerous bright beams of light sporadically poring through the empty spaces between the bamboo that make my room “a room,” and you have a terribly frightening set for a PTSD flashback. Anyway, I guess I will crawl my way out of this small sanctuary I have here and eat something for dinner and probably slap myself silly, and maybe kill a mosquito, in the process.


Here's a picture for ya. Looking from my house to the neighbors.

1 comment:

Will Krzymowski said...

hey, sweet image. I stayed in a community with similar style housing in ecuador, but it was only for like 3-4 nights... I can't imagine living there for an extended period of time.