5.15.2008

Here's a little something for ya

They sit, two brothers, side by side on the built in bench of their furniture free home. "Aleluya man, Aleluya" blares thinly from the small squared and solar powered tape player to their side. Hands bounce from thigh to thigh, mimicking the bongo beats hidden in the accordian thick "tipica".

They've moved; grouped now in three, to the edge of the house, overlooking the morning's rays. Bacilio can better see from here to work the gel into his close latino haircut. He holds the crudely shaped piece of mirror with his feet, his back curled in less than correct posture. They're working together, Amaranto standing comb in hand, over Humberto. Not to compare them to monkeys, but they look out for each others hair needs much like I see monkeys do in National Geographic magazines or on the Discovery Channel.

Breakfast today was cooked by Felipe, with a heavy masculine touch. The white rice and lental mixture sits steaming, waiting for me to cover it in hot sauce. Nothing starts the day quite like a cold shower, unignorable tipica that doesn't fit into any of my previous musical schemas, and a breakfast better suited for my dinnner appetite.

It's 9:30. The morning's breakfast and businesses have been taken (and left). Work was started but stopped short. Much like those familiar apagones in Santo Domingo, the power stopped and there was nothing anyone could do about it; at least at that very moment. Moving the solar pannels was discussed again, but that's down the road. A few overhanging platano leaves were cut and I was hoping the small blackout would get the pannels cleaned today, but looks like a no go on that. Felipe went looking for 5 more palm leaves to finish a missing corner of the roof and Almodio went back to carving his piece of Tagua. It's amazing how people can seemingly dissappear when you don't know what they are saying. I'm sure it was discussed, but suddenly I'm the only one left in the house. Not that I mind the tranquility. The birds are the loudest ones now. I wonder how many species of them I am hearing? Once again, if I only knew their tongue...

No comments: