12.03.2008

El Compañero

As I haven´t been writing much lately, here is something I from my journal from some time ago...

When I first heard about Benito I pictured him as a younger guy. A teenager maybe and a little green behind the ears. Mario talked about how Benito lives in Leon and has been installing some filters in that area. I don’t know why I immediately made him a kid in my mind. Maybe for the name, as Benito sounds diminutive with the ito at the end. But as soon as I met Benito I saw how wrong my assumptions really were.

I was sitting and talking with Benito yesterday. He had his left leg crossed over his right, man style, and I noticed his boots. They were the heavy leather ones with thick soles whose traction was like that off a catipiller or other bulldozing machinery. Far from being athletic or dress up, they were actually the only shoes I can image Benito ever wearing. He needs something to support that gait of his. Extra wide to give him the steady base so he doesn’t tip over when he pounds his feet forcefully into the ground with each step.

As we were talking, Benito he had his hand gripping his crossed boot, his arm was bent and I noticed his elbow/forearm area. It looked like the land of Nicaragua right there at the back of his forearm. The muscle part of his forearm was strong and evlevated and pronounced. Then just dropped off and kind of dipped down like one of those lagoons that sit right below the many volcanos here in Nicaragua. He not only was bred on this spot of earth but has so internalized it he expresses it unknowingly in his muscles.

Another thing I am used to Benito doing, especially as we talk about the early ‘80s, is his simulation of shooting a gun. He doesn’t just elevate one week arm from his side and make the international gun sign with his thumb and index finger. What he does looks as if he was actually lifting a forty pound gun. He brings those trunks of arms up head high, the right one fully outstretched while the left one is bent, elbow out and hand near the face obviously on the trigger. He then closes one eye and squints with the other, looking down the length of, not only the gun, but maybe even his history.

It wasn’t long after I met Benito that we got into a conversation about his time with the Sandinista army up in the mountains somewhere. I mean when someone tells you there were in the army and lived in the mountains for two years you naturally want to know more about it. So I began to question him and paint his story in my minds eye.

My peaceful upbringing was spent on the square patch of grass in our front yard, with a soccer ball at my feet, and friends to kick with. When Benito was twelve years old, and he assures me he was skinny at this point, he was climbing down into manhole covers and running below the streets of Leon, delivering covert letters to various Sandinista leaders. He says once some guards stopped him. They spread his fingers and put their noses to the weby part between each digit to check for any bomb making residue. They beat him and kicked him and put their guns to his back. He remembers thinking he was going to dye, but one guard finally convinced the other not to kill the kid, and they let him walk with a stiff boot in the back as he left.

When Benito gets his mouth moving it is hard to slow him down. And it’s not just war stories he tells. He has plenty facts to share and opinions to let fly. Yesterday we were talking politics, the American variety. Our conversation floated over Obama’s election and previous decades and presidents. I was slightly surprised when Benito began speaking about Regan and Carter. I think I was surprised because from my campo time in the DR I became used to less than apt conversations about current American polotics much less past presidents. I remember Benito saying with his tongue flying, “Oh, Regan fue un…” except I don’t remember the adjective he used. I do know that Benito believes Regan is fully responsible for the ten years of war that his country went through.

In contrast to Benito’s feelings on Regan are his opinions of Bill Clinton. His eyes become happy and that pointy lipped smile of his pops onto his face when he begins talking of Clinton. Benito has repeated to me, at least twice, what Clinton said upon arriving to Nicaragua after some major flooding and a landslide that buried almost an entire city. He says Clintons words were to the affect of, I have not come in war but in peace, to support Nicaragua in development not destruction. Whatever Clinton said or didn’t say is irrelevant.

I realized then, while talking with Benito, how important our President is to other countries. I mean that, often when I hear of our presidents visiting other countries, I think not twice about it, much less once. I now see, from Benito’s smile while thinking of Clintons visit, how much a visit from the United States president means to people living in that country.

Here are a few pictures of Benito and what we do now.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just read this with my new fiance Mateo. Miss you big guy.

Anonymous said...

As far as Nicaragua is concerned, the difference between Reagan and Clinton administrations was substantial. Check your history books if you don't believe Benito.

Feliz Navidad, Mateo!

Iskra López said...

Hey...Delanterito! I didnt know that you have a blog....

Interesting Benito deserve be considered in a book...He is a box of surprises that make himself special!

Saludos.

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

- Johnson

Anonymous said...

Cheap and trendy deisgner clothing from ronkaclothing.com where we sell: Delphine Murat, Robert Rodriguez, Falke, Celebrity by Je Matadi, Simdog, Niteline, Ambre Babzoe, eDress Me, Brokedown, Bryna Nicole, Blu Moon, Day to Night, http://www.eicop.org/pc-276-38-fleurt-amelie-chemise.aspx, Harrison Morgan, Kiyonna, eDressMe Private Label, LaROK LUXE, Baby Doll, Box 185, Jasz Couture, Dylan George Denim, Love, Yu, Night Moves by Allure, Velvetine, Duvetica, Day Dresses, Lee Angel Jewelry, Adrienne Landau, Greylin, Young Fabulous and Broke, Straight-Leg Jeans, Messenger, Shoes, C&C California, Hype, Corson, Wedge Sandals, Clutches, Shorts, Blank Denim, Wink, Naked Label, Kova & T, eDressMe Private Collection, Shaper, Oonagh by Nanette Lepore, Mother of the Bride Dresses, Kiyonna, Jamison, Pants, Kushcush, Blue Pacific Fashion, JS Collection, Casual Tops T-Shirts, Sentimental, Jules Smith, Plomo, Beauty, Suspenders - all available from our online designer clothing store at 50% off sale! Check out http://arts.harvard.edu - harvard university arts and fashion.
We admire work of Harvard University Arts and Fashion - best school of arts where great designers learn
how to create great looking designer clothing!