9.15.2005

Welcome to The DR

I really don´t no where to start or what to even say, so I´ll just start rambling. Maybe that will be the best way to get things out. Lets see...

I can start out by telling you about my shower. I would just like to say this is not your Grandma´s bubble bath! Calling it more of a drip shower or bucket shower would be more accurate. It really consists of a limited amount of cold water that I drip over my head, wash, and drip some more to rinse. I don´t think I have been as awake in the morning as a have after a cold bucket shower. You should try it sometime. This brings me to my second thought.

I don´t think I have stopped sweating since I walked off the plane exactly a week ago. I sweat myself to sleep, wake up and sweat as I walk to training, sweat all day long, and even sweat during my cold bucket shower. It really never stops and it is quite uncomfortable, but I hear it is also great for my skin. All of us in training have all pretty much gotten use to this and are at the point where we don´t even think twice about talking to each other while dripping like a faucet.

Wow, it sounds like I am complaining about being here which is deffiently not the case so I better talk about the things I enjoy here in the DR. #1 is the people. Dominicans are special people. They are very warm and welcoming, and really enjoy to dance! We even have been learning merengue and bachata dancing in our culture classes. You have to know how to dance to survive here. Music is everywhere and Dominicans will break down and dance as soon as they hear it. It´s really great and gives the atmosphere here a wonderful vibe.

There is so much more and forgive me for getting to only a small part of it. I hope to write more soon. Take care and I miss all of my friends and family.

paz y amor
mateo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get us some pictures of the bucket shower. Just make sure an attractive female is in it :D
I can't believe you are going to learn how to dance.
That is great man

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us posted through your blog matt. I love to read about your experiences and sense how passionate you are about other cultures. dime cuando encuentras una guapa dominicana.

Anonymous said...

matt!! im glad to hear that your doing good and surviving... please email me whenever you have a chance and tell me more about your life for the past month!